Saturday 6 February 2016

Birchbox Review: January


I really liked this month’s box; not only did it come with some great products, but there were two freebies in the shape of a cute “#nofilter” slogan pocket mirror and five awesome postcards with some lovely quotes and graphics on them! Again, it was apparently a collaboration with Pinterest but I've yet to see exactly why... Anyways, I’ve also just opened this month’s (always behind, me!) and it looks just as promising!








 The only good thing I could say about this is that it was a full-size sample…but even that’s a little useless because I found it to be such a bad product! It was really chalky and powdery, which made it very difficult to blend in. In fact, it showed up so badly that I ended up just taking it off the minute I’d put it in! It’s such a shame because I held out on buying Benefit’s version of this as I knew it was coming in my box, but I could’ve gone ahead! I really think I’m just going to end up throwing this in the bin. 
Score: 0/5
Would I buy this full-size: No

So far I’ve only used this as a mask, but it doubles up as a scrub too. I try to avoid exfoliating too much as my skin’s still young and doesn’t really need it, so I used it as a mask when I came back from work one day to several new spots! It does smell nice, although when spreading it around your face you can feel the microbeads; I wouldn’t use it regularly because of this. I left it on for about fifteen minutes, and my skin felt fresh and cleansed afterwards. Not blown away, but a useful little sample to have! 
Score: 3/5
Would I buy this full-size: Probably not

I think I had this in one of my first boxes, so it was a little annoying to have a repeat of it so soon afterwards! I don’t use body butter much - it’s just one of those products that never seems worth the time it takes to put on! I probably won’t be saying that once I’m a dried up old prune at 35 years old or something, but for now it doesn’t make any regular appearances on my body. So I just dabbed a bit of this on to see how it felt. The smell was quite strong and sweet - I don’t mind that too much but I know some people do - but it absorbed quickly and didn’t feel greasy. I’ll probably keep it lying around for any times I spot a particularly dry patch of skin. 
Score: 3.5/5
Would I buy this full-size: No

I just used this little set in the bath tonight, and I like both the shampoo and conditioner. They smell amazing (the packaging says it’s “the scent of ripe peach, fresh cut grass, and white woods”) and my hair is noticeably softer after leaving the conditioner to soak in for a bit. I’d definitely consider buying the conditioner to use as a deep-conditioning treatment, but they’re probably a bit too expensive for me to use as my everyday hair wash products. Not really related to the product, but Birchbox always give you significantly less conditioner than shampoo, which is annoying because a) I definitely use more conditioner than shampoo and b) the full-size products are both 236ml each! Although in this case, the shampoo also didn’t lather very well, so I used quite a bit of that too! 
Score: 4/5
Would I buy this full-size: Yes

This was by the far the stand-out product of this month’s box - maybe even of all the boxes I’ve received so far! It’s brilliant to use either on it’s own (as long as you have brown eyelashes - they need to bring out more colours, or a clear version!) or before your mascara, as it really separates and lengthens your lashes. I’ve had a few people now ask me if my lashes are real (lol) and what mascara I’m using, including random customers at work! My mum’s so impressed that I’ve bought her a tube to try, and I will most definitely be re-purchasing when this one sample size runs out. It’s incredible how it doesn’t make your lashes feel cake-y or dry like layering on mascara can! I’m a complete convert, even though I was really skeptical about the idea of an eyelash primer to begin with!
Score: 5/5
Would I buy this full-size: Hell yes!


I’d say that was a pretty successful month! Let me know if any of you guys use Birchbox and which products you received! 


No comments:

Post a Comment