Tuesday 29 March 2016

Travel: Disney World, Florida (part 3 of 3)

Day 4 Friday 18th March 2016

Friday started late because someone (who shall remain nameless, but I'm sure you can guess!) ended up drinking a little too much the night before, and spent the morning with his head stuck down the toilet - while I slept in. We'd planned to return to Typhoon Lagoon, so weren't too disappointed, and instead got to Hollywood Studios in time for me to meet up with some of the rest of the group to ride the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. Siegfried's scared of heights, so didn't want to partake in this, and lovingly spent the time getting me a drink and a snack. We then headed to what I was probably most excited about: "For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-a-long"! It turns out we probably didn't even need FastPasses, as there were shows throughout the day and you just stood in a waiting area before filing into the theatre. Mostly I was just glad that we decided to see it at all, because it's probably now my favourite memory of the trip (bar Be Our Guest, of course).

It wasn't just a basic sing-a-long, but an interactive one, with two Arendelle "historians" recounting the Frozen storyline, with pauses for the songs. These two characters actually kind of stole the show - they were so funny, and had loads of jokes appropriate for all of the older viewers (i.e. mums/dads/siblings/boyfriends etc.). Siegfried got a bunch of hilarious footage; neither of us are gifted in the singing department! But it was fun to be able to sing a long without caring what you sounded like, and during the grand finale Elsa and Anna came out to many awesome effects - including fake snow!

The rest of the day was kind of given over to Siegfriend indulging his Star Wars obsession, as Hollywood Studios does have a load of new areas (and more planned) based around this, now that Disney owns the franchise. We got in a rather disappointing puppet-esque show of The Little Mermaid, a look around the Star Wars area - which included a short documentary about its history, some displays that I didn't really pay attention to, and places to play various Star Wars video games - before our FastPass for Star Tours. Even though I'm not a fan of the films, I have always enjoyed this ride because I think it's really clever how they mix the 3D imagery and vehicle movement to make the story come alive. Our last stop before our dinner reservations was the new Toy Story ride, Toy Story Mania. Friends in our group had told us they'd queued 90 minutes for us, so we'd tried to get a FastPass at one of the kiosks, but there weren't any good options left. However, perhaps because it got to dinner time, we managed to strike when the queue was at only 40 minutes (a really good reason to get the app is the ability to track the wait times), and probably only actually waited about for about 30. It was really fun - it's a shooting game, not unlike the Buzz Lightyear one in the Magic Kingdom, but with 4D effects.

Hollywood Studios' "San Francisco"!
Dinner was at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater, which is a really cool concept restaurant where you sit in a "car" to eat your meal, with a big screen at the front playing old movies and cartoons. Unfortunately, we'd had to split into two groups of four, and one table (the one I wasn't on!) got done much sooner than the other, which meant my table missed the fireworks. I was pretty bummed about this, but shit happens and the most important fireworks show to me was the Magic Kingdom's, which we'd already seen. 

We'd roughly planned to either go out to Disney Springs or the Boardwalk, like on our first night, but once we got back to the apartment everyone had a few drinks and we decided it would be a better use of time (and the copious amounts of alcohol we had left!) to stay in, have some more drinks, and play a round of King's. 

Day 5 Saturday 19th March 2016

Everyone else was heading to the Animal Kingdom on Friday morning, but Siegfried and I decided to skip it in favour of going back to the Magic Kingdom! I'd managed to change our FastPasses earlier in the week, to include everything we hadn't had time to do on our first day. Strangely, this included the new Snow White and the Seven Dwarves ride, even though this had been sold out when I'd chosen our original selections! It was awesome; similar to Big Thunder Mountain but much smoother as it's new. There are also awesome views of Fantasyland, including the extension and the Beauty & the Beast castle. I'm really glad we decided to get on it, because neither of us are big Snow White fans so we nearly bypassed it. We also did the classic Space Mountain - which I had completely forgotten because I was surprised to see you sit one behind the other! By this time it had started to rain pretty hard, and Splash Mountain - which was supposed to be our last FastPass - was closed (not sure if this was because of the rain though; surely a water ride can survive a downpour?!). Disney World emailed to let us know, and gave us the option to use the FastPass on a variety of other rides, but none of them were the really popular rides, so we ended up doing Pirates of the Caribbean again. We got in a bit of shopping, and had an amazing pulled pork hot dog from Casey's Corner on Main Street USA - a fitting last meal, as it was also where we ate before we left Disneyland Paris last year. After a quick ride on the railway that circles the park (with none of the good views I was hoping for!), we said our goodbyes and headed back to the resort for our airport shuttle bus.

A section of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride,
with Cinderella's Castle in the background 
So that was my Spring Break 2016! I don't for a second regret going to Disney instead of taking an all-inclusive trip to Mexico (although I wouldn't mind experiencing that at some point too!) and hope you enjoyed reading about what I got up to. There's tons moore photos over on my Instagram page, and my boyfriend's putting together a vlog of my whole trip as I write, so I'm excited to share that with you soon! Before that, there should be a short (actually short this time, I promise!) post with D.C. recommendations. Until then!  

No comments:

Post a Comment