Tuesday 5 April 2016

Lifestyle: Stress Relief

Like a lot of people, I’ve got a rather long and complicated mental health history. But recently, I’ve been hopeful that I’m coming out on the other side, and wanted to share with you guys what helps me keep happier and calmer day-to-day. These are probably things that you’ve heard before, and might seem obvious, but it’s also a way to remind myself of what tools I have to deal with on bad days. 




To do list(s)
I’ve always been a big fan of lists, but sometimes they can have the opposite effect and actually stress me out more. This happens when I’ve got too many lists on the go - millions of different Notes in my iPhone vying for my attention and the like. So I’ve tried to simplify the process by using this Paperchase checklist to give myself only a few (I try to cap it at four) tasks to complete each day. It’s so satisfying being able to put a big fat tick in the boxes, and by limiting myself to four or less projects, I avoid becoming overwhelmed. Even if I feel like I could’ve done more with my day, I try to remember that doing a little every day does get a lot done over a week. 

No Worries journal
I bought this “worry diary” in Urban Outfitters on my last trip to the States. It has a place for the date - so you can fill it in as much or as little as you’d like - and then space to describe the worry. It then becomes a kind of flowchart, asking if there’s anything you can do about that particular worry; if you follow “yes”, it prompts you to write a “plan”, after which it tells you it’s “time to move on and check back later”. If you decide there’s nothing you can do, it directs you straight to “move on and check back later”. On the opposite page is a review section, where you note how long it is since you wrote the worry, and talk about what’s happened, and how you feel now. Another unique addition is the ability to tear a perforated corner of the page off if you feel you’ve solved and/or dispelled that worry. Whilst I doubt my ability to tear many of these corners off, I am really enjoying using the journal. My psychiatrist has actually suggested I have “worry time” before bed, in order to clear my head and help me sleep better, and this gives me a structured way by which to do it. So far, I think it’s definitely working, as I’m shifting the pressure onto the page as I write. Obviously you don’t need a designated worry diary like this; any notebook or piece of paper will work - just scribble everything down, let it out and let it go!

One Line a Day journal
Yes, another journal! This one you do need to write every day, but it’s a “five-year memory book”, so there’s only six lines per day. Each page is dated, and split into five sections for the five years, so you can see the five years in one glance at any page. There’s space to fill in the year, so you can start it whenever you like. This is a godsend for someone like me, who loves journalling but never seems to have the time to write. Because I know it’s only a few lines, I have the motivation to complete it every day, and it’s another opportunity to get down what I’m worried/frustrated/happy/sad about. I’m so excited to see how it looks when I finish in 2020! It was given to me as a gift but is available from lots of different places, including Waterstones and Amazon

Exercise
I won’t pretend that I’m some super healthy fitness freak who does yoga every day and 10k jogs for fun. I’m actually one of the world’s laziest people, and really have to force myself to exercise. But I do force myself, because I almost always feel better when I do. Most of the time, it’s just something extremely simple - like taking the dog for a walk - but I’ve also been doing Charlotte Crosby’s (of the Geordie Shore fame; I know good TV guys) Three Minute Belly Blitz recently. The benefits are great, for minimal input - you have to work hard, but as it’s only for three minutes at a go, I can normally power through. The overall workout is nearer to 45/60 minutes, but as I’m a newbie I don’t yet do the full set of exercises. On the weeks I manage to fit this in I normally enjoy a bigger weight loss, as well as increased energy levels.

Reading
I’ve always loved reading, and it’s a great distracting technique when I’m having intense emotions. Whether I’m sad, frustrated, angry, etc., sitting down with a book allows me to escape my world and problems, and enter another. If I don’t have time to get into a book, I grab a magazine or the newspaper and find an article that interests me. The more I do, the more I want to do, and I love being able to discuss the things I’ve read with friends and family. I’m currently reading Tracks, by Robyn Davidson - a gift from my boyfriend and a travel memoir of trekking across the Australian desert with just four camels and a dog! I love inspirational, true-life books because I’m a naturally pessimistic person, and find these help to elevate some of the negativity. 


So there’s some of my tips for keeping balanced, and reducing day-to-day stress. I hope they’ve helped, and I’d love to hear how you guys keep happy and healthy in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment