Monday 14 December 2015

Christmas Gift Guide


As it’s getting so close to the big day, I wanted to do a last-minute Christmas gift guide! I’m normally the headless chicken running around on December 23rd panic-buying; amazingly, I’ve managed to turn that around this year, but here’s what I’d be pursuing if I still had people to buy for. 

Topshop ‘Sunday Funday’ pjs set - £22
Most people I know get pyjamas for Christmas - it’s a pretty well-know tradition, right? Topshop has so much nice nightwear in at the moment that I had a hard time narrowing it down, but I think this set is one of the best. If I’m going to be spending more than about £10, I try to stay away from specifically Christmas-themed presents (anything with snowflakes, reindeer, Christmas trees, etc., on it) because they have such a short shelf-life. I feel weird wearing candy cane underwear in any other month than December! These will transition perfectly into spring and summer thanks to the shorts, and who doesn’t love a good slogan?!

Topshop Sleeping Beauty nightie - £20
So, everything I’ve said above can be applied to this too, but I wanted to throw in another style of pyjamas. Personally, I’d even wear this as a dress too (talk about day-to-evening)!

Rock ’n’ Rose emoji jewellery - various emojis on rings, earrings, and necklaces; all priced at £24
I think these would make the cutest little presents for friends; probably because they’re the people I practically exclusively converse with in emoji! These are two of my personal favourites, but there are others to choose from, and everything is made with sterling silver.

New Look socks - £1.99 a pair, or 3 for £4
Socks are a seriously under appreciated Christmas gift, in my opinion. They’re small, practical, inexpensive, easy to wrap, and can bring such happiness to someone’s day. The feeling of a new pair of socks is one of life’s simplest but greatest pleasures, and I can vouch for these New Look babies because I just treated myself to a couple of pairs (only to get free delivery for my mum’s Christmas present!). This is when it’s acceptable to buy novelty festive prints - they’ll get used for years to come (even if it is only in December) and even I’ve been known to resort to a pair of sparkly snowflake socks (a.k.a. the last clean pair) in the middle of summer. 

Topshop Popcorn slippers - £12
Carrying on in the sock vein, I saw these in the Reading Topshop store last week and thought they were adorable! I find slipper socks much more comfortable than conventional slippers, and these are sooo soft and fluffy.

French Connection ‘Dark and Shady’ gift set - £18 (and currently on 3 for 2 with loads of other products!)
I’ve noticed a pretty big rise in the number of these kinds of make-up/beauty/skincare gift sets on the shop shelves this year. And although I can be pretty picky with my make-up (I really enjoy researching and testing new products myself), I think they’re a great idea for someone you’re not entirely sure what to buy. Even if you don’t know them that well, if you know they like make-up I’d say you’re pretty safe going for a collection like this. As a receiver, I’d see it as a great opportunity to experiment - perhaps with looks outside of my comfort zone. Also, when I first saw this one from French Connection, I thought I’d misread the price - £18?! You get a mascara, an eyeshadow primer, an eyeliner, a brow pencil, an eyeshadow palette with four shades, two metallic eyeshadow pencils, an eye pencil sharpener, tweezers, and an eyelash curler… I haven’t got any experience with French Connection make-up but their clothes are normally high quality, so if their make-up is too this is a right bargain! 

Nip + Fab ‘Party-Prep Glycolic Set’ - £14.95
For those close to you, consider what issues they complain about the most with their hair/skin/body/etc., and plan accordingly. Boots have got four Nip + Fab gift sets that target a range of skin types; I only picked this one because it’s the one I’d personally need. Again, it’s a good way to introduce people to a new brand that they may not have splashed out on themselves, and they might be very appreciative of the nudge towards a more stringent skincare routine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment