Sunday 13 December 2015

Reviews! The Courtyard Café and 'Carol'

A few weeks ago, I went with my family to the Hartley Whitney Christmas Market. The Christmas festivities in my town get worse yet more crowded every year, and HW is such cute little place full of independent boutiques; much more promising. Ironically, the highlight of the night ended up being the meal we had in a permanent HW fixture: the Courtyard Café - a cafe/restaurant at the back of Hartley Antiques. I’d been there for coffee before, but hadn’t really appreciated how much of a bar/restuarant it was too, and as the burger vans on the street weren’t the most appealing, we decided to give it a proper try while we waited for the fireworks that always end the event. 

I was so impressed with the menu; there was a huge variety of starters, salads, mains, sandwiches, and puddings. Additionally, there were homemade cakes in a huge glass cabinet by the till, and a wine list that included 500ml carafes (always a great idea when only a couple of people are drinking!). Because I’m still trying to watch what I eat, I shared the nachos with my mum. They were so good - exactly the right amount of toppings (salsa, guacamole, sour cream) and a generous layer of real melted cheese, not that synthetic-tasting cheese sauce you get in loads of places. My dad and my sister’s boyfriend got the goat’s cheese salad, whilst my sister had the chicken satay salad. They were all huge portions and no one had any complaints. The staff were friendly and understanding when we took ages to decide on what to have (too much choice!) and the food came quickly but was obviously freshly prepared. 

Because I’d only had half a starter, I decided to opt for what had really caught my eye on the menu:  a salted cameral mud pie with peanut butter brittle and vanilla ice cream. I am absolutely not lying when I say it was quite possibly one of the best things I’ve ever tasted. It was so sweet and rich, and all the flavours complimented each other really well. The brittle dissolved in your mouth and I was literally licking the bowl once I’d finished. 

Having had a peek at the cakes on display, and spotting that they serve breakfast there too (my favourite meal), I will most definitely be back. I might take my boyfriend when he visits just after Christmas. It’s a little more expensive then I would usually go for, but when the quality is this good it’s worth a couple of extra quid! 

Sorry the photos aren't great, I only had my iPhone!


Address: 65 High Street (through Hartley Antiques), Hartley Whitney, Hampshire, RG27 8NY
Food: 9.5
Service: 8
Price: £££ (£=cheap as chips, ££=good for everyday, £££=special occasion, ££££=this better come covered in gold)
Look: 9
Website: here
_____________________________________________________________________________



Then, last week, mum and I went to the movies because I had a 2-for-1 offer. We were debating between seeing The Lady in the Van or Carol; I was leaning towards the former because, having seen the trailer several times, Carol seemed like it might be quite heavy. Normally those are the kinds of movies I like, but I wasn’t really in the mood for something serious that night. In the end though, we did decide to see it - and I am so glad we did. It’s a film I think everyone should watch; it makes you think and feel like not many movies can. I don’t want to give anything away, but it’s set in 1950s New York and is about a soon-to-be divorcee (named Carol…) who starts a relationship with a young, female shop assistant. Obviously that was a huge taboo at the time, and it was fascinating to see how it was both portrayed to a modern audience and received in a setting that seems so far removed from today. 


It was also aesthetically stunning. Even being a huge fan of the Beat Generation like I am, I have never wanted to live in mid-century New York more. The sets, costumes, make up and props are so exquisitely detailed, which helped draw me into the storyline even more. It’s a little slow at times - there’s a lot of lingering glances and silent pauses - but I didn’t ever find myself wishing it was the end. My sister - who went to see it the next night, on my recommendation - disliked the open ending, but I enjoyed being left to imagine what might have happened. It still steered you towards a definite conclusion, but suggested that life is more complicated and difficult to navigate than just a “happy ever after”. I think that was an important and poignant point to make, and I’d really encourage everyone to go and see the film for themselves. I haven’t seen Rooney Mara in much else, but she’s now firmly on my radar. I thought she and Blanchett had real chemistry - they played off each other well and were so entirely believable. 

I’ve also laid several large hints that I’d now like to read the book it’s based on - The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith. It’s Christmas next week y’know?! 

Carol (2015; premiered at Cannes Film Festival)
Director: Todd Haynes (Safe,Velvet Goldmine, Far From Heaven)
Starring: Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth, The Lord of the Rings, Blue Jasmine), Rooney Mara (The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Sarah Paulson (What Women Want, 12 Years a Slave), and Kyle Chandler (Zero Dark Thirty, The Wolf of Wall Street)
My rating: 4.5/5
The good: Everything! Interesting subject matter, great acting, visually beautiful 
The bad: A bit slow at times, which might put some people off
Would I recommend it: Yes
Would I watch it again: Yes   

No comments:

Post a Comment