Wednesday 27 August 2014

Hello, British summertime

Okay, so it seems like this week the real British summertime has arrived. We can't really complain, considering this year's glorious heatwave that lasted much longer than any previous ones. 

And the relentless rain and grey skies - as well as a visit to Reading that was supposed to be for purchasing new kettles - has made me think about the most important item of one's winter wardrobe: a coat. I don't know about you, but I spend a considerable amount of time in my coat come the cold weather, and I've learnt (and this applies for most things) to splurge a little in order to get good quality. Unfortunately, I get restless for a new one every year; working on the cost-per-wear principle, I just about let myself off for this. It also means I have several options each year (probably too many - I need to do a clear out!). This year, I've already marked out some strong contenders - and here they are!




1. Oasis 'Textured Long Belted Coat' - £98
Size(s): XS, S, M, L
Colour(s)black, brown/beige
Initial thoughts: that looks comfy. It's also kind of cape-y. I like capes
Updated thoughts: this is as comfy as it looks. It has no kind of fastening except for the belt, but that ties well and nips you in at the waist. The drapes cover my problem areas, and it is in my favourite colour. I was surprised to see that Oasis call this 'long' because it sat above my knees.
PROS: black, cosy, no fiddly buttons or zips
CONS: black (coat-buying would be a good opportunity to inject some colour into my wardrobe), quite heavy, entirely un-waterproof, belt may slip when walking, £££.






2. Fat Face 'Harrogate Hooded Mac' - £68 Size(s): 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18
Colour(s)camel, navy, phantom, stone
Initial thoughts: ooh it's a mac! And it's got a hood! This would be practical
Updated thoughts: I have been wanting a camel-coloured coat - possibly in a trench-style - for a while. This kind of incorporates both of those, whilst also being a mac, which has also been on my wish list for ages. It's also water-resistant, and hooded, which makes it very desirable considering I live in England. It does strain over my boobs a bit though
PROS: colourful, ticks a fair few boxes, water-resistant, hooded, nice deep pockets
CONS: doesn't really fit in with my more grunge-y style, doesn't feel too warm, not really enough boob-room.


3. Topshop 'Cream Lace Plastic Mac' - £52
Size(s): 4, 6, 8, 1012, 14, 16

Colour(s)cream
Initial thoughts: that looks like a mac I can get on board with. But would white be difficult to maintain? Maybe good for rain...
Updated thoughts: with a hood and apparently being plastic, it should be pretty water-resistant. The lace really 'pretties' it up, and contrasted against my black wardrobe it could work quite well. Can't decide whether this is a good price for Topshop or not...hopefully it'll go into the sale. I also haven't had a chance to try it on as I've only seen it on the website
PROS: really good reviews on Topshop's website, a change from black, probably good in rain, cheapest option
CONS: it's now sold out (and I swear Topshop hardly ever restock non-basic pieces), might be too 'girly', probably not great quality coming from Topshop, could get dirty easily

When I make the decision to spend, I'll let you know which one I went for! There's plenty more out there to explore as well. 

What would your choice be?



UPDATE, December 2014: I didn't actually end up going for any of these! I made a snap decision whilst in Marks & Spencer with my mum when I saw this gorgeous leopard print number on sale. I've been told that I look both like an old lady and fabulous in it, but it's kept me warm and I love how it looks! 









No comments:

Post a Comment