Sunday 31 August 2014

Film Review: 'What If'


One of the best pieces of news I've heard in recent weeks is that you can now use Orange/EE Wednesdays codes to book cinema tickets online (yes, I'm that sad). Even though it's such a bargain, I rarely used to participate in Orange Wednesdays because the queues were always so long and several times I've missed out on seats. So, last Wednesday, my sister and I took her boyfriend and my best friend to see Daniel Radcliffe's (aka Harry Potter) new film, What If. The friend I went with, Fiona, had heard about it a while ago, but I was a bit skeptical at first. Daniel Radcliffe in a rom com? Would that work? Did I really believe that Daniel Radcliffe could act anything other than Harry Potter? Had he even done Harry Potter justice?! These thoughts were probably because of my aversion to Emma Watson (I'm sorry, but the girl just can't act, full stop) but I had since seen Radcliffe in Kill Your Darlings - last year's indie flick about one of my favourite poets, Allen Ginsberg - and, I must admit, been pretty impressed with his portrayal of Ginsberg.


Without wanting to give too much away, the film centres on Wallace's (Radcliffe) relationship with the cousin of his hilariously funny best friend (Adam Driver, in a role not very different to the one that made him famous: Adam in Lena Dunham's sitcom Girls, which I love!). The dilemma is that the girl, Chantry (Zoe Kazan) has a long-term boyfriend. Exasperated that she can never find a guy who will just be friends with her, Wallace becomes that friend. I'm pretty sure you can figure the rest out for yourselves; yes, it's quite predictable, but it's done in a way that at least makes the play-out interesting. 

Having heard mixed reviews (the Times' film critic Kevin Maher gave it one star, citing "a leaden script, charisma-free romance and hideous one-liners"; the audience rating on Vue's website is 4.5 stars), I was willing to keep an open mind and try to enjoy the evening either way. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised. Wallace cuts a rather pathetic character still moping over an ex, but having just gone through a break up myself, it was believable and comforting. I found Kazan rather irritating at first, and it didn't help that at times Chantry was blatantly leading Wallace on. But their chemistry was obvious and invigorating - despite Maher's view on it - and their characters' personalities gelled well. Another review I read had said that Driver and his character's hasty wife (named Nicole and played by Mackenzie Davies) that were the movie's comic highlights, but I disagree. Their over-the-top eccentricity was borderline disturbing at times, and overall they seemed like a cheap play for laughs. 

My delight was seeing Radcliffe deliver sharp, quick one-liners, and his refreshingly real banter (for want of a better word) with Kazan. Having not seen him in a comedy before, I was impressed by his comic timing; he's expressed that he was drawn to the script because of its humour. I also liked that the film was left on a bit of a cliffhanger, because it leaves the audience free to imagine what may have happened. The credits, however, illustrated the remainder of the story.

What If (2013; premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival)
Director: Michael Dowse (GoonTake Me Home Tonight)
Starring: Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Zoe Kazan (Ruby SparksRevolutionary Road), Adam Driver (Girls [TV series], and currently filming the new Star Wars movie), Mackenzie Davis (That Awkward Moment), and Megan Park (The Secret Life of the American Teenager [TV series])
My rating: 3.5/5
The good: Interesting to see Radcliffe branching out, laugh-out-loud funny, showcases some new and great talent
The bad: A bit predictable, probably need to be a fan of the rom-com genre to enjoy it
Would I recommend it: Yes
Would I watch it again: Yes   



No comments:

Post a Comment