Sunday 17 August 2014

Product review: MAC Brow Set

It is a truth universally acknowledged (or at least by everyone that looks at them) that I have the unruliest eyebrows EVER. And the funny thing is, I never really paid attention to them until everyone else did - so, basically, when Cara Delevigne came along and seemed to single-handedly bring 'bushy' eyebrows back. Initially I was thrilled, but truth be told my eyebrows can't really be identified as 'bushy'. They're actually quite sparse, but very long and curly, so do need some taming. My first foray into this new world of brow-related products was a retractable brow pencil from Sephora, that had a handy mini-comb on one end. It soon became obvious, however, that I was going to need much more help than a tiny comb... I moved onto a Revlon Brow Fantasy pencil and gel duo, but disliked the brush (too bristly) and found that the gel dried out far too quickly. A quick Google suggested MAC's Brow Set as one of the best brow gels on the market, so on a visit to Cardiff with a friend I made the purchase.


The Brow Set comes in clear and two brown shades - one light and one dark. Because I use an eyebrow pencil underneath, I went for the clear. This also means that if I get some smudged around my brows or on my forehead (quite easy with the mascara-like brush) it's not noticeable. MAC's website says it's "a brush-on gel that strokes brows into shape. Adds shine and style. No flaking or stiffening. Tinted or clear. Also grooms lashes, sideburns and facial hair." It tends to gloop at the end of the brush, so I have to knock some off - like you do with some mascaras. It then takes me a few goes to get my lashes to cooperate and settle down. But once I have, they do stay put! If I'm being very meticulous I reapply a few times throughout the day, but generally I don't have time. As promised, they don't feel stiff, and at the end of the day the gel comes off easily with a make-up remover. I haven't noticed any added shine, but that's fine with me as I prefer my make-up matte. I haven't used it on any other facial hair (which, thankfully, I don't have much of!), but might experiment with using it on my lashes in the future. 

At £13.50 it's not budget, but I'd say it's worth it because a) it works and b) the tube is a decent size, and will therefore last a while. Since I've started using it, the gel has become slightly clouded, but I presume this is from brushing it along brows that have already had brown eyebrow pencil applied to them. Maybe I should try applying the gel first. In any case, it doesn't seem to be affecting the product. I still need to pluck and trim my eyebrows regularly, but that's to be expected!   

MAC brow set MAC brow set
MAC brow set MAC brow set

Product: MAC Brow Set (8g/0.28 US oz)
Ingredients: water, alcohol denat., VP/VA copolymer, butylene glycol, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, carbomer, aminomethyl propanediol, disodium EDTA, phenoxyethanol
Price: £13.50 (£16.88 per 100g)
Colour(s)clear, 'Show-off' (dark brown), 'Beguile' (light brown/dark blonde)
Sold at: MAC stores and stockists (to find your nearest location, click here)
Buy onlinehere 

No comments:

Post a Comment