Sunday 17 August 2014

Café review: Coffee Culture (Guildford, Surrey)

I went for a little shopping spree in Guildford last week, with my mother and sister, and we stopped in this lovely, independently-owned coffee shop in the town centre. I love independent café's - probably because I used to work in one, but also because I go to university in Brighton, where new ones open every week! I know that familiarity can at times be useful and comforting, but exploring what different things the world offers is so exciting! I also feel that independent establishments can be more interesting and welcoming, with an eye to detail that chains don't need/want to bother with.


Coffee Culture is down a cute little lane off the High Street, named Angel Gate. There's a few places to eat down there, as well as some shops. CC has two outdoor seating sections - one directly outside the shop and the other on the opposite side of the street. The decor is lovely (I'm gutted I didn't get more photos - my mother is very particular about phones at the table!), with gorgeous floor and wall tiles, sofas at the back and industrial style chairs (that have become fashionable viFrench label Tolix's very popular Model A) and wooden tables. Interesting and quirky coffee quotes adorn the walls and columns.

There was a huge array of paninis, bagels, and sandwiches on offer, any of which you could have hot or cold. I believe they're also made fresh on the premises each day. My sister got a ham-based bagel (I should really start to pay more attention...) and my mother had smoked salmon and cream cheese. The sweet treats were also vast - with gluten-free options included - and displayed beautifully and hygienically in a glass case (yes cake covers can be ugly, but I hate seeing cakes left open to the air because not only do they attract flies, they'll also taste dry!). After a bit of a mix-up with my order (I changed my mind from carrot cake to a Nutella and icing sugar waffle once I'd seen a further menu propped up on the counter; the lady on the till thought I wanted both!), we sat down and were served promptly. Both my mother and sister commented on how lovely their bagels were, especially as the bread seemed to be multigrain, and not too big/overstuffed (they're both on diets!). My waffle was heavenly, although a bit skimpy on the Nutella. My iced latte was also excellent - not too weak and a decent size. 

The whole bill (black Americano, iced latte, can of Diet Coke, two bagels, and a waffle) came to about £16, so it's not cheap but the quality of the food definitely justifies the price. The staff weren't overly-friendly, but by no means rude, and thanked us and said goodbye as we left. I also overheard a girl instructing another waitress to throw two miscellaneous slices of cake out if they weren't sold by the end of the day, which is a good sign that they're committed to serving fresh food, and aren't all about profit. 
With the extensive menu (and the quick and easy wifi) I will definitely be going back soon!


Address: 2 Angel Gate, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4AE
Coffee: 9
Food: 8
Service: 7
Price: ££ (£=cheap as chips, ££=good for everyday, £££=special occasion, ££££=this better come covered in gold)
Look: 9
Website: I couldn't find one, but they seem to update their Facebook page, which can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment